Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Full Heart

Parenthood is full of emotional highs and lows. In my opinion amusement parks do not compare to the ups and downs of being a dad. As parents, we have a love for our children that can not easily be put into words. Look into the eyes of a dad as he holds his newborn child. Now, try to write about that look. It is almost impossible to describe. Look into the eyes of a new mother as she nurses her newborn. Tell me, how in the world do you put that experience into words, it is impossible. We can only attempt to use the symbols of speech to describe the indescribable.


Parenthood can bring the deepest pain imaginable. I have watched parents in agony as their child languished close to death. The pain that was crushing them, again, is beyond description. The pain in parenthood can come in a hundred different directions. As parents we try to help our children learn how to make good and healthy decisions. Because we know what happens when bad decisions are made. I have made more than a few. When I was sixteen and seventeen I thought my dad was as dumb as a brick. I didn't want to listen to anything he had to say.


I know people who tried with all sincerity and tremendous effort to raise their children with a sense of right and wrong and respect for others. And, I have witnessed those same loving parents put themselves through hell as their children made bad decisions and poor choices. Some children ending up in jail and others on the fringe of society. How do you put into words the pain those parents are dealing with, you can't.


On the other side is the absolutely indescribable sense of love and gratitude that fills the hearts of parents when their children walk into the future with love and confidence. Ask a dad how he feels when he walks his daughter down the wedding isle. He can't tell you without choking up. Ask him how he feels when he watches his children graduate from high school. Ask him how he feels when he watches his children excel, beyond their own expectations, not his. Ask him to describe how he feels when his son is holding his newborn child and the new grandpa knows what is in the future.


Full Heart, I guess those two words are the only way that I can describe the emotions that I just listed. The pain fills the heart and threatens to choke the life out of us. It can knock us down and bring us to our knees. The blessings of the, Full Heart, again are beyond the use of words. It is to be experienced and put into the treasure-house of the soul.


I have experienced both sides of the, Full Heart. This has been an easy post to write for today I have really experienced the, Full Heart. My granddaughter is gifted and intelligent. She is an excellent student and athlete. She is the, first chair trumpet player in the middle school band that just won state honors. Her mom, my daughter Hilary, is an awesome overcomer who is soon to be caring for the elderly in the professional manner of her dreams.


Last week, Ana graduated with honors earning her master's degree. Her life and radiance draws people like a magnet. This weekend, Marily graduated with highest honors and set an example for many to follow.


I wish my heart could write. Maybe then I might be able to put it all into the right words.


Tedd Galloway is a former missionary and is currently the pastor at West Adrian Community Church. His book, A Mother's Heart Moved the Hand of God, is soon to be released through, Morgan James Publishing. You can follow Tedd on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. His website is, www.teddgalloway.com

No comments:

Post a Comment