Friday, November 30, 2018

Jimmy Sings


Al said, “I’m going to find Jimmy, probably next door at Chuck’s, and talk to him about helping me out.” “I think it is a good idea,” Gracie said, “And I hear you and Larry are taking him fishing. You don’t know what that will do for that boy.”
Just as he thought, Al found Jimmy sitting on a stool at Chuck’s place. He sat on the stool next to him and asked Chuck for coffee. Jimmy seemed agitated and Al asked, “Jimmy, you seem kind of nervous. What’s the problem?” Jimmy fired back, “I don’t know, I’ve been kinda upset these past few days. I know it’s been a month or so since Ray left us. But, every time I walk by the paper and come here, I think of him. I just hope he’s doing okay.”
Turning on his stool, Al bent his head towards Jimmy, and whispered, “We’re gonna’ go fishin this Friday morning. Wanna go?” Jimmy exploded straight up and off his stool. In a flash he was up and dancing in a little circle and singing, “Gonna’ go a fishin’, gonna’ go a fishin’. Been a wishin’ and a wishin’, now I’m gonna’ go a fishin’. Goin fishing with Larry, Goin fishin’ with Larry. Gonna have me a shore lunch, fried taters and trout. Makes me so happy, think I’m gonna shout.”
Al sat on his stool laughing and Chuck came from the back to see what the commotion was. Jimmy was still dancing his little jig when Al grabbed him by the sleeve and asked him to sit down. Jimmy was like popcorn bouncing in a hot pan. Even when Al finally got him to sit, his legs were bouncing. Al said, “Now be ready and meet me here at five Friday morning. You don’t need to bring anything. Larry will have all the tackle.”


No comments:

Post a Comment