Saturday, March 30, 2019

Who is Etche?


Still whispering her song, Rose sat next to Al. She said, “I only have a minute and then I have to get busy again. Isn’t she a remarkable woman! I’ll tell you about her in a couple of minutes, you are gonna be really surprised.” Al thought, “How can I be any more surprised?” Rose got up from the chair and said, “I’ve got to go to Hazel.”
Rose sat across from Hazel, placing her hands on the crisp linen tablecloth. Al could tell Rose was talking to Hazel but this time he couldn’t understand what was being said. A moment later Rose put her hands on both of Hazel’s. Then she walked around to Hazel’s seat. Pulling it out for her, Hazel stood and the smile on her face was an absolute glow. As she turned to walk to the back door, the front door came open.
Hazel turned around to see a man dressed in khaki slacks and navy sports coat standing in the doorway. Without a moment’s hesitation she said, “Frank, it is real, this is such a lovely place. I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time.” Rose walked over and introduced herself and said, “I will be right with you Frank. I’m just getting ready to introduce your wife to Etche, the River Guide. Please allow me to walk with Hazel to the back door.”
Frank spoke up, “It is okay Hazel my dear, I will be with you in just a short time.” Al watched stunned and emotionally moved as Frank walked to his wife and took both of her hands in his. He bent forward and kissed her on the cheek. Al heard him whisper, “I’ll see you in just a few minutes.”
Just as Hazel turned back to Rose, the back door opened and in stepped the River Guide.  He took Hazel’s hands in his and bent forward and whispered something in her ear. As they moved towards the back door, Hazel turned and gave Frank a wink and a smile. Rose said to Frank, “Welcome Frank, I’m honored to know you. Please come and have a seat.” Rose guided Frank to the table his wife had just occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment